Grilling is a year-round affair in Napa Valley, but nothing says summertime more than firing up the grill, pulling out your favorite wines, and whipping up a full menu of food fit for al fresco dining.
Frank Family Vineyards proprietor, Leslie Frank, and Director of Hospitality, Liam Gearity, were joined by Chef Christina Machamer, winner of season 4 of FOX’s Hell’s Kitchen, for a live cooking demonstration paired with an array of food friendly Frank Family wines.
Viewers from across the country tuned in as Chef Christina shared her techniques on how to balance sweet and sour for a refreshing watermelon and feta salad, shape the perfect patty through the process of emulsification and achieve the perfect grill marks for grilled peach sundaes. Even Rich Frank couldn’t resist making an appearance for a burger hot off the grill and a glass of his favorite Zinfandel!
Be sure to re-visit the recorded event on our Youtube channel so you, too, can learn as many tips about summertime grilling as we did and discovered some fun new wine pairings along the way.
Chef Christina has assembled a delicious menu that you can easily recreate at home. View her recipes below to cook and taste along with us.
Watermelon & Feta Salad
Pairs best with: Brut Rosé
4 cup - Seedless Watermelon, dice approximately 1” 1cup - Sheep’s Milk Feta 2 tbl - Lime Juice, approx. 3 Limes 1/2 cup - Chopped Cilantro 1/4 cup - Chopped Jalapeño or Serrano Chili
Gently mix all ingredients and season to taste with salt, fresh ground black pepper, and extra chili if desired
Ultimate Summer Burger
2 lbs - Ground Beef (Chef Christina's choice: 85% Beef, 15% Lamb) 1 cup - Chopped Romaine 1/2 cup - Diced Heirloom Tomatoes 1/4 cup - Diced Red Onion 1/4 cup - Heinz Horseradish Sauce 4 Slices Aged White Cheddar 4 Potato or Brioche Buns
1. Portion into 4 balls of 8oz. Emulsify meat by tossing hand to hand until fat and protein combine, then form patties.
2. Liberally season with salt and pepper, then grill to desired doneness. Place Cheese on top of patty and allow to melt on grill
3. Mix Slaw by combining Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Horseradish Sauce and season to taste.
4. Gently toast buns on grill if desired. Add slaw to bottom bun, top with Hamburger and top bun, and serve.
Grilled Peach Sundaes
Pairs best with: Late Harvest Chardonnay
2 each - Large Ripe Peaches, Halved, Pit Removed 1 tbl - Melted Butter Pinch - Cinnamon Ice Cream Granola Honey
1. Brush Peach Halves with melted butter and place cut side down on grill until caramelized.
2. Place cut-side-up on a Plate and top with a scoop of ice cream, granola, and honey