Wine is hand crafted to excite the palate and when paired with the right meal, the combination can ignite the senses, sending the imagination soaring. Chef Gerard Nebesky, of Gerard’s Paella and winner of Food Network’s Throwdown with Bobby Flay, is joining us at Frank Family Vineyards on Saturday, August 22 at 2pm PDT/ 5pm EDT to virtually demonstrate how to make an authentic paella and his favorite Mediterranean-inspired tapas.
Join Director of Hospitality, Liam Gearity as he expertly pairs three exquisite wines from our family-owned Lewis Vineyard in Carneros, with Chef Gerard’s culinary creations – a coupling that is sure to send your taste buds on a journey to Spain. Be among the first to taste our newly released 2018 Lewis Vineyard Pinot Noir as we share a glass online with you. Register via Zoom here to taste and cook along with us live.
Get transported to southern Spain with Chef Gerard’s tapas and paella for two. View the ingredients and recipe below.
Manchego Cheese & Quince Paste
Pairs best with: 2014 Blanc de Blancs
Manchego Cheese - Available at your local grocery store or online here Quince Jam - Available at gourmet grocery stores or online here
Saffron Shrimp Skewers
Pairs best with: 2018 Lewis Vineyard Chardonnay
Wild Caught Gulf Shrimp - 16/20 count Fresh Garlic Saffron Threads Smoked Paprika Hot Sauce Fresh Lemon Olive Oil Salt & Pepper
Authentic Paella, for 2-3 people
Pairs best with: 2018 Lewis Vineyard Pinot Noir
1 - Small Red Bell Pepper, sliced into strips 1/2 - Large Yellow Onion, diced 4 - Cloves Garlic, rough chopped 7 oz. - Tomatoes, diced 1 - Lemon, wedged Parsley, chopped 1 cup - Olive Oil 1 tbl - Smoked Paprika Salt & Pepper to taste Pinch of 25-30 Saffron threads 2 cup - Chicken Stock 1 cup - Medium Grain Rice Chorizo Bilbao 1 - Chicken Thigh, boneless skinless 6 - Large Gulf Shrimp, peeled and deveined 1 cup - Squid Rings
1. Heat olive oil in 12 inch flat bottom frying pan. Add the red bell pepper strips sauté and remove.
2. Add sliced chorizo bilbao, sliced chicken thigh, onion, garlic, salt, saffron, and smoked paprika. Sauté until chicken has some color on it and onions are translucent.
3. Add tomatoes and cook until thick. Add 2 cups of chicken stock bring to a boil for 10 minutes, add rice.
4. Stir the chicken around until all rice falls to the bottom, cook for 10 minutes. Add shrimp and squid rings and reduce heat slightly while keeping it at a good simmer.
5. As liquid gets absorbed, turn shrimp once and add bell pepper and lemon wedges. When it starts to pop like Rice Crispy cereal, monitor heat as to not burn the rice.
6. Test the rice from the top of the paella only. Total cook time should be no more than 25 minutes. Finish with parsley, serve and enjoy!