Ziti Rigati with Fava Bean Pesto Guanciale & Pecorino Romano
From Amy Gulick Italy Magazine
When asked to create an Italian-inspired dish using Castello products, Executive Chef of Oak Avenue Catering, Shannon Kelly delivered! “My inspiration for our pasta dish is simply SPRING! In the middle of Winter I crave the warmth and sunshine of springtime. Fava beans express to me the essence of spring and I feel this dish utilizes these simple but flavorful ingredients to capture springtime on a plate.” Footage of the chef recreating the dish coming soon!
Oak Avenue Catering Fava Bean Pesto
- 2 cups fresh or frozen fava beans
- ¼ – 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Castello Basil Grape Seed Oil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Grated zest of 1 lemon and juice
- Salt to taste and a pinch of red pepper flakes
Put favas into the bowl of your food processor along with the cheese, zest, juice, salt and red pepper flakes and pulse a few times. Add the oil and continue to pulse until you have a somewhat chunky but
amalgamated pesto. Taste the pesto and season. Process longer if you want a smoother consistency.
Ziti Rigati with Fava Bean Pesto Guanciale & Pecorino Roman
- 4 ounces guanciale or pancetta, cut into thin strips
- 1 pound of Castello-imported Ziti Rigati Pasta
- Castello Basil Grape seed Oil
- Salt for cooking pasta
Cook your pasta al dente in plenty of salted water, and in the meantime cook thin strips of guanciale/pancetta in grape seed oil until just turning crisp. When the pasta is ready add it to the guanciale/pancetta along with several scoops of your pesto, some grated pecorino Romano and freshly ground black pepper. Add a small amount of pasta water to make a creamy sauce. Sprinkle some more grated Romano cheese and drizzle some basil grape seed oil over the top and serve with a glass of Castello Vermentino!
Yield: 6 servings | Prep & Cook Time: 1 Hour
Enjoy and cheers!
March 2021 Competition
The entry rules are as followed:
- · Recreate Chef Kelly’s Fava Bean Pesto and Pasta recipe!
- o Extra points if you purchase the Castello Fava Bean Pesto Pasta ingredients Pack and a bottle of Vermentino!
- § Hyperlink to the Fava Bean Pesto and Pasta pack and Vermentino on the website
- · Post a photo of your completed dish on Instagram with a bottle of Castle wine and a beautiful Spring –inspired tablespace
- · Tag @thecastello #thecastellorecipes in your caption
- · And DM us your completed post to our @thecastello account with your name and email to secure your submission!
- · The competition ends March 22nd and we will announce the winner on Instagram Wednesday, March 24th, 2021!
Call Wine Club with any questions at 7079676274!